McMahon 'Mortified' Over Nexus T-Shirt Sales

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- World Wrestling Entertainment's symbolic Nexus T-shirt has been a huge flop in terms of sales.

According to a company source, Vince McMahon was 'mortified' when he was shown the latest merchandising report on Nexus shirts.

Honestly you can't expect massive sales of merchandise from a heel stable made up of young guys the fans barely know. Heels rarely sell heaps of merchandise and it makes it even harder when the heels are new guys who aren't established names. I think Vince needs to be a bit more realistic about the appeal of merchandise for them.

XenForo-Test

Reaction score
I think where Vince is coming from is the likes of nWo and DX, as heel units, were "cool" and thus profitable. Nexus is not "cool" and, like Troy said, they aren't established names. I think where WWE needs to go with this is to give the Nexus members time to develop their own personalities beyond just being a guy with an armband.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
A new group like this was never going to be a big seller. Even someone like Sheamus who is established and very over as a heel wouldn't sell much merchandise so they can't expect much from these guys. Like you said if they actually give them time to develop as indivduals they can then make some money off them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well you hit the nail on the head, while the NEXUS story has been pretty hot this summer [at least at the start] there is a differnce between people wanting to see a compelling storyline, and actually by merchdise of the people involved. Undertaker sells lots because people like and respect his character, not because of any one feud.

RobyD

Reaction score
Well besides the fact that, like mentioned above, the stable is a Heel stable, and a pretty undefined one at that, the shirts aren't really "cool" shirts to where anyways. It's a giant yellow N on a black shirt. Come on.

xXSlaveXx

Reaction score
Haha wasn't aware they were that bad. Guess that means the Nexus will be scrapped at Hell Of A Cell, for being a flop? Hopefully not but hey, they weren't being used right. Coulda done with more matches and less beatdowns, to mix things up a bit.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Check out the new Nexus shirt. I can't see this increasing sales.

W02740X.jpg

Who in their right mind would wear that? As far as I am concerned the most popular merchandise doesn't have pictures of the wrestlers on them it is either their catchphrase or a random design. I can't see anyone wanting to buy that and wear it, the plain N was much better.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Can't argue there! Although one thing about the new T-Shirts is that it might suggest than NEXUS going under may not be so set in stone.

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I honestly don't think it's a horrible shirt but there really isn't anything about it that I would think would make it fly off the shelves, and I'm right, because none of their merchandise is. Personally I would've held off on the t-shirts and stuff, first thing to do would be put them in the video game, which they've done, and see how the fans like that. Then make Nexus toys, and if the response is fair for that then t-shirts and other related memorabilia is a wise business decision.

I think they had high hopes for this not only because they're reminiscent of DX and NWO but of the entire Attitude Era and Stone Cold Steve Austin. No one's defied authority and raised hell in such a manner since Austin, until Nexus did what they did, which is why it was to be a huge thing, there's a new renegade on the block, and he has seven other renegades with him. Honestly if the storyline had been booked better and the group hadn't lost steam then yeah, they'd be making money hand over fist on the Nexus merchandise.

Changing up the look certainly couldn't hurt either, too much yellow and black. Yellow and black doesn't work like red and black and white and black did because it's too loud a color.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that they have still been booked strong except for the fact they lost that match at Summerslam which really would have helped establish them. Once they removed Young and Sheffield was injured they should have consolidated and pushed the group of five strongly. It is much easier to organise and book for five wrestlers than for a group of seven. There is still hope though if they let Barrett win at HIAC against Cena.

I would have thought that their armbands would have been selling like hotcakes. Simple design and it seems like something a lot of people would buy so they and all their friends could wear them.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Just saw another new Nexus shirt on WWE's website;

W02780X.jpg

That is a much better shirt in my opinion, the best of the three shirts by far and I think that it should sell better. Especially if Cena joins the group :p

xXSlaveXx

Reaction score
Yeah, if Cena is to join the Nexus then that shirt will gain some recognition. The "N" will actually have a identity and a lot more people will know what it actually means. Smart strategy by the Vincester. Let's hope Barrett wins tbh!

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Just wanted to bump the thread to post this.

WWE Chief Operating Officer Donna Goldsmith said at Thursday’s investor conference call to company stockholders that sales of Nexus merchandise have increased since John Cena joined the pack.

Even though all Cena has worn is the armband the sales have increased like we expected when Cena joined the group. Fans will buy whatever Cena wears and I really think that WWE should have him wear a Nexus shirt every now and then.