Looters hamper rescue efforts in tornado-ravaged Alabama

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
9.5 out of 10.Micheals is just awesome,overall hes one of the best ever.I thought he was done back when he hurt his back but he came back and hes still got it man.He WILL win the title at WM 23 or there is something wrong with everybody involved with WWE.

Kairi

Reaction score
By DANIEL BATES
Last updated at 1:20 PM on 1st May 2011

Looters are hampering attempts by ordinary residents to get their lives back on track in the tornado-ravaged city state of Alabama. Police imposed an 8pm curfew in the areas affected and military police began patrolling the streets amid reports of burglaries in homes and stolen cars. Those residents who chose to stayed behind were forced to mount a 24-hour guard to stop their belongings from being taken from their stricken houses.

The lootings cast a shadow over the otherwise positive response from community in Alabama, which was the worst affected by the tragedy.
Military sources confirmed that looting had been taking place but that it was 'far less frequent than we expected'.

'There are some people who are using this as a chance to take something for themselves,' the source said.

Shirley Long, from Tuscaloosa, where 42 people died, was a victim of the scavengers.

She said: ‘The first night they took my jewellery, my watch, my guns.

Easy target: Nothing is stopping thieves from getting valuables from the wreckage

Alive: Some 700 people are being housed 13 shelters across Alabama
'They were out here again last night doing it again.’

Steve Smith 54, also from Tuscaloosa, said that a thief had tried to steal his car.

'Somebody had a go at breaking the lock then broke in and took everything,' he said.

'A lot of my neighbours have gone but I've got nowhere to go. We are having to stay up and keep guard 24 hours a day to stop people coming and helping themselves.

'A lot of the front doors were kicked off by rescuers so there's nothing to stop thieves.'

No mercy: Thieves have raided food and clothes distribution centres
In Hackleburg, where there were 27 deaths, a demolished clothes distribution centre was looted and authorities decided to lock up drugs from a wrecked pharmacy in a bank.'

Despite the thefts, the vast majority of residents have helped contribute to an 'overwhelming' response to help those affected.

Thousands of volunteers from across the state and beyond have loaded up trucks and driven to areas affected to hand out water and food.
Some 700 people are being housed 13 shelters across Alabama, with some 250 in the Belk activity centre in Tuscaloosa alone, the biggest of them all.

There they are being given three meals a day, counselling, and a bed whilst they work out what they will do next.

Elsewhere in Tuscaloosa dozens of stands have been set up by church groups and charities who are going from house to house with bottles of water and packed lunches.

In the areas with no power, volunteers have set up large barbecues to cook hundreds of meals which they are distributing amongst the needy.
Governor of Alabama Robert Bentley said of the response: 'I'm so proud of this state.'