2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup bids

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
2018 & 2022 bids
Belgium & Netherlands
England
Russia
Portugal & Spain
United States​

2022 bids only
Australia
Japan
Qatar
South Korea​

Which countries do you think will be successful in bidding for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups?​

For the 2018 FIFA World Cup I can't look past England. Even though they are a constant underachiever in football they are home to the biggest league in the world and are such a strong football nation. They haven't hosted it since 1966 so it is about time they get the biggest football event again. They have the infrastructure required since all the preier league clubs have their own stadiums in addition they will have some facilities left over from the 2012 Olympics. United States have a strong bid but they hosted it in 1994 so it is too soon for them to get it again.​

For the 2022 FIFA World Cup I would obviously like Australia to get it but I don't think that we are the favourites to succeed in the bid. Qatar seems to be the favourite at the moment with the government there willing to throw unlimited money at the bid in order to make it succeed. Japan and South Korea co-hosted in 2002 so they have no chance. I still think that US hosted it too recently as well and that will work against them.​

Who do you think will win the rights to host the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups?​

Dademo

Reaction score
I think 2018 will be England for the reasons you've stated, and Austrailia for 2022. South Korea and Japan just hosted it I believe and most people haven't even heard of Qatar as a country, I have though.

I would like the US to get 2018, because I was just 1 when it was in the US in 94, and I would like to go to one of the games.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
US cover all the bases, they have dozens and dozens of stadiums that fit the guidelines for a country bidding for the World Cup. They have the infrastructure there ready to be used and they have the money to spend if they need to spend it. They will get huge crowds and it will be hugely successful if they get the opportunity to host it. Since they only hosted in in 1994 then I can't see them getting a chance until 2026 or most likely 2030.

If Australia get it then I would certainly try to get to at least one game. It would be a great experience and even though I am not a huge soccer/football fan it would be a once and a liftetime experience.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
There is still plenty of time before the decision is made, December 2, but the closer it gets the more I think Australia won't get it. In the local football league here the crowds are shocking, they have been down from recent years and that will surely play a part in whether or not we get the nod. Our national team normally gets a good crowd but the A-League struggles to get big crowds. I read recently that Qatar's bid is struggling, the people who have the vote don't think that the infrastructure system is strong enough to hold a massive event like the World Cup.