England win The ashes!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
test
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
England have retained the Ashes for the first time in 24 years - and with a match to spare - after easing to a comprehensive win in the fourth Test.

Australia, resuming 246 runs behind on 169-6 and with Ryan Harris unable to bat, were eventually dismissed for 258 before lunch on day four in Melbourne.

Chris Tremlett, Graeme Swann and Tim Bresnan each took a wicket as England won by an innings and 157 runs.

The tourists are now 2-1 up with only the Sydney Test remaining.

If they avoid defeat there, England will win their first series down under since 1986/87.

It's great for me but we all know a captain's nothing without the guys who stand up and deliver under pressure

England skipper Andrew Strauss
"We've got to keep our feet on the ground because there are many goals that we want to achieve both in this series and into the future," said England captain Andrew Strauss.

"But we're very excited right now. It's a special occasion the MCG game and to come out here and retain the Ashes is something that will live long in all our memories."

Strauss was quick to heap praise on his team-mates.

"These guys deserve everything they get because the players stood up and performed when it matters," he said.

"It's great for me but we all know a captain's nothing without the guys who stand up and deliver under pressure.

"I'm not going to take the credit for this because it's not my victory, it's the team's victory."

British Prime Minister David Cameron offered his congratulations to the England team on "a brilliant performance" in Austrailia

Former Australian bowler Shane Warne was quick to praise the English.

Writing on his Twitter page, he said: "Congrats to the England cricket team on retaining the ashes .. It has taken 24 years for England to do it in Aust.. Well done and Congrats."

England's win in Melbourne was their biggest against Australia since 1956 and one they fully deserved after dominating their opponents with both bat and ball from the start.

Strauss's men showed immense character and skill to bounce back from a comprehensive defeat in Perth, although they were aided by a bitterly disappointing performance from Australia.

While questions surrounding Ricky Ponting's future as Australia captain are likely to intensify, his side could yet salvage a share of the spoils from a final Test that starts on 3 January.

But for that to happen the hosts would have to experience a dramatic about-turn in form and - if this evidence is anything to go by - England will not exactly be quaking in their boots.

TOM FORDYCE'S BLOG
In bright sunshine, under perfect blue skies, this was a sight for England supporters to savour and store for as long as they care about cricket

The tourists had engineered a position of such dominance over the previous three days that both teams arrived at a sun-drenched Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday knowing the outcome was a mere formality.

With Australia staring down the barrel of a crushing home defeat by their fiercest rivals, the players were greeted by vast swathes of empty seats as they walked out at the 100,000-capacity stadium.

That said, the Barmy Army were out in force to will England over the line - and they swiftly had cause for celebration.

Fresh from tearing through Australia's middle order on day three, Bresnan got proceedings under way with a devilish over of reverse swing that had Mitchell Johnson in all sorts of trouble.

The Yorkshireman laid the foundations for an early strike, which duly arrived in the second over of the day when Tremlett swung one back into left-hander Johnson and clattered his stumps via an inside edge.

A swift end appeared likely but Peter Siddle and Brad Haddin combined doggedly to delay the inevitable.

Watchful at first, Haddin soon began to open his shoulders and moved towards a seventh Test half-century by dispatching Swann down the ground for six

It was important for England to remain patient, and instead of taking the new ball Strauss opted to stick with the spin of Swann and swing of Bresnan. It was a move that paid dividends.

Siddle had grafted his way to a career-best score of 40 but there would be no maiden half-century after he lofted Swann to Kevin Pietersen running round from long-on.

With just one wicket needed, it arrived in the very next over, Ben Hilfenhaus caught behind off Bresnan to spark scenes of jubilation among the England players and fans alike.

Mike Gatting, the last England captain to win the Ashes down under, said success was down to the fact that the tourists have been "very well led, very well coached, very well prepared".

He added: "The great thing about winning in Australia, you have to play as a team.

The really important thing we need to do is pay credit to England and the way they played for the whole tour

Australia captain Ricky Ponting
"It's not just any one person who is going to win you the Ashes and make a huge difference. Everyone has to compete out there because you are battling against a team that is used to winning in its own back yard."

England batting coach and former captain Graham Gooch told BBC Radio 5 live: "Everyone there can be proud of their performance.

"But they won't be thinking that this is over yet. They will want to go to Sydney and finish Australia off and win the series. That was the aim at the beginning of the tour."

Defeat in Melbourne means Ponting, 36, is the first Australian skipper in 120 years to fail three times in the Ashes.

"We've learnt a lot about how to play very good Test cricket from some of the cricket that the English team have played over the last few weeks," he said.

"I'm disappointed with the way this series has gone for us so far, really disappointed at the way this week has turned out for us after having such a good week last week.

"But I think the really important thing we need to do is pay credit to England and the way they played for the whole tour."

England and Australia began the series by drawing the Brisbane Test.

England then went 1-0 up crushing the hosts by an innings and 71 runs in Adelaide, only for Australia to hit back instantly in Perth, recording a surprise 267-run victory.

Credit to BBC.com/sport

im not a massive fan of cricket but the implecations of beating the aussies in there own country as well as ours is a massive achievement! we were by far the better team! and i hope we can keep this run on in further tests"

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
England were a much much better team then Australia this time and they certainly deserve to retain the Ashes. I hope that Australia can level the series by winning the last test. It means we still don't get the Ashes but makes the overall result much better.

England won this twelve months ago when they found a settled side and stuck with it. They have a cohesive unit and one that works so well together. Australia on the other hand kept changing the team and kept making odd selections when it should have all be sorted out two or three series ago. North should never have played a test. Four pacemen shouldn't have been used at the MCG where a spinner normally performs well. Smith shouldn't have been picked as a number six. So many errors were made in selection it in no wonder that we are down 2-1 after four tests.

For the five test Ponting is out injured after that broken pinky flared up again during the last test. Clarke will captain in his place and Usman Khawaja will take his spot at three, long overdue for Khawaja who should have played from the first test in place of North. Beer will certainly play and Hilfenhaus will be dropped.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I am delighted we finally stepped up to the mark and won the all important Ashes which now cements us as the best test side in the world imo. Really winning two of the series back to back is unheard of in my lifetime for England and it is such a great acheivement that all the squad deserve MBE's like the 2005 winners got because winning away is more special than at home.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Haven't quite won the series yet so hold off on those MBE's :p England do look ready to win their first series for something like 22 years, they won't want to draw this series they will want to dominate and win 3-1 rather than 2-2.

Not sure about best test side in the world, have to play South Africa away and then India and see how it goes. I think that it is South Africa, England, India atm.

Should be a good final test with both teams desperate for the win although for much different reasons. Will be so strange not seeing Ponting captain the side.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah i think if india beat SA and we beat them this summer than it's pretty much set. But as I speak England are looking strong over 200 runs ahead going into day four with Prior who is still a dangerous batter at the crease. I say we bat till lunch try and notch up 300 ahead then bowl you out over the next 1 and a half days :p

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well they have won it now!

I actually hate cricket, but I supose it is pleasing to retain the Ashes, and epscially in such style.

But I find it silly that you can win the ashes, but not nesscery win the series, the two should be one in the same.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Terrible, terrible performance by Australia in the final test. It did prove that the captaincy isn't the issue and that the issue is actually with the players selected for the games. Our bowlers can't put six balls in the same spot each over and our batsmen have no discipline. I would like to see the selectors and coach sacked so that we can get a fresh start following this pathetic performance.

Once again well done to England and with South Africa and India drawing there recent series it is very close for the top three test nations.