UFC 120: Bisping vs Akiyama

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
200px-UFC_120_Poster.jpg

UFC 120

Official fight card

Main card
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit
Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Mike Pyle
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne
Welterweight bout: James Wilks vs. Claude Patrick

Preliminary card
Light Heavyweight bout: Cyrille Diabaté vs. Alexander Gustafsson
Heavyweight bout: Rob Broughton vs. Vinicius Queiroz
Light Heavyweight bout: Steve Cantwell vs. Stanislav Nedkov
Lightweight bout: Paul Sass vs. Mark Holst
Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Kurt Warburton
Light Heavyweight bout: James McSweeney vs. Fabio Maldonado

Michael Bisping in the mainevent, yes that means UFC is back in England again. He is still the face of MMA in England and even though his recent form, 2-2, isn't that good he is still huge. Akiyama lost his last fight to Chris Leben and looked like he gassed early in that fight. He needs to be in much better condition to defeat Bisping here.

Dan Hardy is coming off a loss to GSP and will want to get back on track to the title with a win here. Condit has done alright so far in UFC but Hardy should be too good for him.

Hathaway's MMA record is 14-0, 4-0 in UFC, and a win against Lyle must get him close to the title. His last three fights have gone to the judges though so that will work against him.

I had completely forgotten about Cheick Kongo in the heavyweight division. He never really gets enough big wins in a row to get a title shot. Against Browne who is 10-0 and has one fight so far in UFC. Huge test for Browne, if he can't defeat Kongo then he won't go that far in the division.

Dademo

Reaction score
Akiyama is training with Greg Jackson's camp now which means I'd expect Akiyama to Lay and Pray or try to take it to the ground to get the victory. I forget how good Bisping's TD defense is he but it's not like he has knockout power and Akiyama survived Leben so I say UD Akiyama.

Hardy over Condit definitely imo. I feel like Hardy is so underrated it's just that GSP is on an entire new level then any WW's in that division.

And Hathaway/Pyle should be awesome. Hathaway with the win would put him in a great spot in the WW division. I'd say give him Thiago or loser of Shields/Kampmann if he can duke out the win.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Bisping has completely lost the KO power he once had and he needs to find that again in order to get a title shot. He really needs this win but like you said Akiyama will aim to score points through takedowns and get the judges decision.

True, a loss to GSP isn't like a normal loss. GSP is elite and only a few will beat him, Hardy will win here and then will need another big win over a big name before getting a look at the title again.

Hathaway would have to be in line for a title shot if he wins this fight. He can't do too much more stopping his opponent more.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
UFC 120 is this weekend and there have been no changes to the main card.

As the event gets closer I am leaning towards Akiyama for the win. I just don't have that much faith in Bisping's ability anymore and think that Akiyama will be able to defeat him.

For Kongo I think that this has to be do or die for him. If he loses here Dana has to release him as he doesn't add anything to the brand anymore and will never challenge for the main title.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well Bisping did win but he left it to the judges again and Akiyama gassed again near the end. Bisping needs to work on his KO power and Akiyama again needs to work on cardio and conditioning.

Condit destroyed Hardy with a big right hand. Both threw a punch but Condit connected just before Hardy did and that was the end for him. Great win for Condit against a big name like Hardy.

Kongo was lucky with the draw, he had one point deducted for grabbing Browne's shorts. Should have lost the rounds 2-1 in my opinion but somehow got the draw.

121 is this week and that is the big event with Lesnar vs Velasquez.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Condit knocking out Hardy was the definite highlight for me. I can't stand Hardy and it was good to see him just get KO'd like that.

Bisping will always be a "midcard" sort of fighter to me. He won't ever make it to the top of the division because he just doesn't have that finishing factor. He has the cardio to last but he doesn't have it in him to finish a fight unless it's an easy opponent. He had a chance against Hendo and got KO'd. Had a fight against Wandy and lost. Akiyama had potential but he's been exposed as not being able to last.

Kongo... meh. Kongo is one of those guys that looks like he could rip you apart if he wanted to. And he has the ability but he isn't consistent in the least bit. He might look good and like a real threat in one fight then in the next look like complete crap. Plus he's a rather dirty fighter to me. He always gets his groin kicks in. Ah well... this card wasn't what I was looking forward to.

UFC 121! COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN CAIN!

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Bisping has lost a lot since winning TUF, he used to be a finishing fighter but now always leaves it to the judges. I agree that he is a midcard fighter and that he can't stick with the guys at the top of the division but can defeat those below him.

Yeah Kongo is a bit of a dirty fighter. He is another who is a midcard guy, can defeat those around him but against top level heavyweights he can't stay with them.

This is certainly just the warm-up to the big one, 121 this weekend :D