Possible Change to PPV Announce Team

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwmania said:
WWE officials have discussed modifying the announce team for pay-per-view events, which could begin as soon as TLC.

Internally, Todd Grisham is not getting high marks for his work, which is why Michael Cole was moved to SmackDown. Meanwhile, both Cole and Jerry Lawler reportedly dislike working with Matt Striker. Cole took off his headset during the Survivor Series broadcast to yell at Striker for talking too much.

Punk may end up with the spot for pay-per-view events, but the team would therefore solely consist of Raw announcers and the company doesn’t want SmackDown to come off as a secondary brand.

Also in related news:

pwmania said:
It’s said to be no secret that Jim Ross wants to return to the announce booth. His appearance on Raw two weeks ago resulted in overwhelming sentiment that he should return, but his fate lies in the hands of Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn, who prefer youth—though Jerry Lawler is three years older than Ross.

Furthermore, Lawler and Cole have pushed for Ross to replace Matt Striker as the third man for pay-per-view broadcasts, whom they dislike. McMahon, however, feels the pay-per-view broadcast team should be limited to those who work television.

I would like to see a change to the PPV announce team. I really like the idea of Ross just announcing PPV's. As I said in another thread, it would make PPV's seem more special if JR announces at them and only at them. They would have to get rid of either Cole or Lawler if they wanted to keep the three man team since they need someone from Smackdown to announce to keep things even.

If they don't go for JR then Punk would be a good option although that option has the problem of it just being the entire RAW team, Smackdown has to be represented on the show.

If they are complaining about Striker and Grisham that much then why not switch them up to give them more experience announcing with someone else. Cole being with them will help but if they wanted to take it to the extreme then swap Cole with Grisham or Lawler with Striker. Maybe by pairing them each with an experienced announcer it will help them improve much faster.

Who would you like WWE to use as the PPV announce team?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I am very devided on this one.

As much as I respect Jim Ross, and believe he might be the best annoncer of all time, I just think than his time as a full-time play by play man is up. The only reason people are calling for his return is because he is one of the best ever, and because people have short memories, I bet if he was bought back, in a few months time people would be moaning that he is getting boring again. I have no problem with J.R. returning for speical matches or maybe even for a one off event, but not full-time.

Like wise as much as I have never been a big Cole fan, his heel turn has been one of highlights of the year in WWE, so they need to stick with that. Lawler I have no problem with them getting rid off, he lost the plot years ago.

Striker I quite like, but in a way has just rested on his laurels , and hasn't quite nailed down the prosition. Punk has been impressive so far, and might as well stay, and be added to the PPV team since he is still recovering from an injury.

After that they either need to promote an ex-wrestler or Manager for the Smackdown role. There is talk of Mick Foley leaving TNA, so maybe he could return.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
F4W said:
It is said that Josh Matthews commentating on Raw last night was a tryout to replace the lead announcer of SmackDown, Todd Grisham. Reportedly, Grisham may be replaced any week now.

There may be movement sooner than expected. I acutally don't mind Matthews as a commentator and think that he would be a bit more realistic than Grisham. Grisham can just return to the role of backstage interviewer.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Matthews is certainly a step up from Grisham, but still not good enough to be a part of one of their flag ship shows. Vince either needs to promote from within (someone who is not currently a communtor) or just hire someone from another company or field.

The_RB_Brand

Reaction score
I can see J.R being a reason to bring back as a PPV announcer only. It makes the voices herd on PPV's a little different from what you would hear during their normal programming. There for making the PPV's just that more specialer than regular formate. I like Matt Striker,him & Mathews stand out to me n so doesn't Cole, King should be the main guy for backstage interviews on both Raw & Smackdown. I think having former wrestlers on play by play announcing is just a cry to have a familiar voice on tv for when the younger generation takes over the spotlight. How ever in today's society everyone is in on moving forward, & doing new things. So in my opinion a retired or hall of fame wrestler as an announcer is not a need in todays market. King is only still an announcer cause it's something he started to do years ago in the 90's. I think if a former big star like stone cold or the rock or even HHH was to come back as a commentator it just would work out cause they have a legacy in the ring.