WWE re-branding Gorgeous George

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nation

Rate The Promotion Day 10

TNA scores what could be a harsh 60 next up the WWF. Now this is before it became the WWE. So rate is based on the WWF era.

160px-WWELogo_84-94.png

In 1980, the son of Vincent J. McMahon, Vincent K. McMahon, founded Titan Sports, Inc. and in 1982 purchased Capitol Wrestling Corporation from his father. The elder McMahon had long since established the northeastern territory as one of the most vibrant members of the NWA. He had long since recognized that professional wrestling was more about entertainment than actual sport. Against his father's wishes, McMahon began an expansion process that would fundamentally change the sport, and place both the WWF - and his own life - in jeopardy.

10/10 The Rock and Stone Cold were great to watch in the attitude era.

Soulpower

9/10....Sure, we DX, The Rock, Austin among others, but we it had its share of stinkers....Ultimate Warrior. Also Repo Man, Akeem, DOink.... I can't give it a 10 because it went through a stretch where everything was a gimmick, that was when WCW had by far the best wrestling on tv.

Reaction score
The promotion that shaped everything and remains the standard bearer. The list of incredible talent that thrived under the WWF is literally a who's who of pro wrestling. If you worked for them then in the eyes of the world at large you were somebody in the business by default. If we're talking up to '02 before the reigning in of the more 'high risk' performers and the star famine caused the departure of the more marketable talent then they'll get a 9.5/10 from me.

KANNIBAL

Reaction score
10/10

This is the reason I became a fan of Wrestling. The Attitude era was one of the best, It had real good wrestlers like ..

Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, HBK, Triple H, Kane, Mankind, Doink the Clown, Lex Luger, Bret Hart, "The Nugget" Owen Hart, Curt Henning etc. And the stories kept you entertained.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
To be fair. Doink the evil clown had potential to be a decent mid card heel.

Reaction score
I agree, I certainly think that the guy who originally played him (Matt Borne)could have pulled it off but they turned Doink face he quit and the gimmick became a bad joke for some other, less talented guy to carry. Potential doesn't amount to anything really, especially if you consider that TNA has the greatest potential to be a threat to WWE.

03mnm

Reaction score
WWE is the ultimate promotion I think. Sometimes it pieces me off with the storylines like the Booker T Kurt Angle, Sharmell one that was sick and the Eddie Rey storyline the one where Eddie told the world he was Dominick’s dad was stupid. Some of the characters have been stupid like Boogeyman and Doink the clown but I still watch it Vinny Mac has built an empire 10/10

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
- The Italian Tribune News reported recently that the movie based on the life of WWE legend Bruno Sammartino will begin filming in April in Italy. The movie is also expected to film in Tokyo, New York, San Francisco and Pittsburgh.

- WWE is doing a DVD on Hall of Famer Gorgeous George in an attempt to make him relevant, as they are also producing a movie on his life through WWE Studios. WWE wants to market George as the originator of sports entertainment and re-brand him as wrestling's Babe Ruth type of character. It's been reported before that the George DVD and WWE Studios movie are close projects to Vince McMahon.
Not gonna sit here and act like I know a bunch about the guy cause I don't, but based on what I know it did seem like he was one of the first to bring the start to bring the entertainment aspect to wrestling.

Dante Cross

Reaction score
I totally think Ali should be portrayed in this piece, even though he was not a major factor in George's life at all, but George was one in his and I think that would portray George in a greater fashion if ppl saw that I'm talking about this segment I read from Wiki like a couple weeks ago.

Muhammad Ali and James Brown acknowledged that their own approach to flamboyant self-promotion was influenced by George. A 19-year old Ali met a 46-year old George at a Las Vegas radio station. During George's radio interview, the wrestler's promo caught the attention of the future heavyweight champion. If George lost to Classy Freddie Blassie, George exclaimed, "I'll crawl across the ring and cut my hair off! But that's not gonna happen because I'm the greatest wrestler in the world!" Ali recalled, "I saw 15,000 people comin' to see this man get beat. And his talking did it. I said, 'This is a gooood idea!'" In the locker room afterward, the seasoned wrestler gave the future legend some invaluable advice: "A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."