Stories of Alberto Del Rio and The Bella Twins almost quitting

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Phenomenal1

Reaction score
Alberto Del Rio's meteoric rise to a World Title Match at WrestleMania XXVII is a story that almost didn't happen.

According to sources within Florida Championship Wrestling, he indicated to WWE officials approximately a year ago that he was not pleased with being situated in the developmental promotion (which had reached several months by that point) and would be quitting the promotion to return to Mexico where he could earn a higher salary. When he signed a contract with WWE in June 2009, he was assured that he wouldn't stay in developmental for long. Officials tried to pacify him by allowing him to work live events with the main roster, and in part due to discussions at the time of his uncle, Mil Mascaras, being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. His performances caught the eye of top officials and he was ultimately called up to the main roster in June.

Similarly, Colt Cabana said during a recent Art of Wrestling podcast that when he was training in WWE's developmental system a few years ago with The Bella Twins, Nikki and Brie threatened to quit WWE if they weren't immediately brought on the road with the main roster.

Cabana stated, "They called up the office and said: 'Hey, if we don't go on the road we're quitting'. And the next day, they're on the road."

He added that he probably would have been fired if he made the same demand.

"I don't wanna do that," Cabana said. "If I call up and say, 'Put me on the road or I'm quitting', I'm gone."

The Bella Twins were promotional models John Laurinaitis offered developmental contracts to a year after their participation in the 2006 Diva Search. They have stated in interviews that they weren't wrestling fans growing up, with Brie once remarking "that she was hired to do this diva thing." Upon their contract agreement with WWE, they botched the organization's name, referring to it as 'Worldwide Wrestling Entertainment' on their MySpace page.

So much bullshit happens in this business. Fuckin politics and shit. Gotta hate it. Imagine if The Uso Twins had done what The Bella Twins did. They'd be on their asses at Rikishi's house wondering 'what the fuck were we thinking?'

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm amazed they were able to say that and got what they wanted. Must got some dirt on Vince or something. Already knew about the Del Rio situation though.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Good old dirtsheets re-reporting old news. This Del Rio news came out back when he was feuding with Rey initially I believe and The Bellas stuff was nearly a month ago I believe.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm amazed they were able to say that and got what they wanted. Must got some dirt on Vince or something. Already knew about the Del Rio situation though.
To be fair, Vince and those around Vince have all said that he likes people with balls. Mickie made the roster after going to him herself and pitching the Trish stalker angle. McCool got the call up after pushing the Teacher Pets to him and not just creative. Rock admits to getting freedom to be The Rock after going to Vince. R-Truth would be K-Kwik if he didn't go to Vince himself as he admits. They likely impressed him by having the stones (not physically of course) to threaten to walk, and it paid off for them as they are on the roster while Colt is not and are the main Divas ambassadors who are second only to Cena in number of WWE PR appearances and Wishes granted. I can't fault them for going all in and winning, when the other guy refused to nut up and do the same to get himself noticed in a good way (FCW's crowd hurt him). It showed hunger and passion.

The ADR bit is way old though as he struggled a lot in FCW early on while learning how to speak English, losing his mask, and working a new style. He went through a hell of a lot and for less cash. He stuck with it and it worked out.

The Yeah1993

Reaction score
I'm not really sure the Alberto thing wasn't about him not being happy about having to remove his mask. If what was posted here is true though then what a dick he sounds like.

The Bellas sound like stuck up cunts who should have been let go since they've added nothing to anything.

???

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not really sure the Alberto thing wasn't about him not being happy about having to remove his mask. If what was posted here is true though then what a dick he sounds like.

The Bellas sound like stuck up cunts who should have been let go since they've added nothing to anything.
I don't think it's so much that he was a dick. When he was negotiation with WWE, who were chasing him for some time, it was reported that he didn't want to spend long in developmental if he had to at all because he was making a better living than that in Mexico. WWE obviously agreed to it when he signed, so I can see why he was frustrated at being kept in developmental after being told he wouldn't be.

Old news though, as Dale said.

AF.

Reaction score
Alberto isn't a dick, he's a huge talent who will be a genuine asset for the WWE and yet they put him in developmental when he probably didn't need it.

Either way, it all worked out. Alberto is getting his push (albeit a little too early) and is Main Eventing WrestleMania.

The Yeah1993

Reaction score
Alberto isn't a dick, he's a huge talent who will be a genuine asset for the WWE and yet they put him in developmental when he probably didn't need it.

I could have been way out of line and he might be the greatest guy on Earth but a wrestler being a "huge talent and genuine asset" doesn't necessarily (that isn't spelt right is it) mean they're not a dick. Take 1990s Shawn Michaels for an eg.