Injured Shoulder Sidelines Velasquez For 6-8 Months

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
sherdog said:
UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez will be out six to eight months nursing an injured shoulder.

Sherdog.com learned of Velasquez's injury last week from sources close to the fighter, and the information was verified today by UFC president Dana White in an interview with MMA Fighting following the UFC 125 pre-fight news conference.

Velasquez was expected to defend his title in early 2011 against top contender Junior dos Santos, but that idea has been scrapped. According to White, the hopeful return date for the champ is sometime this summer.

Shame that the Velasquez vs JDS fight will be delayed as I was really looking forward to it. Bad timing for Velasquez since he only just won the heavyweight title and doesn't get to defend it. Hopefully it can be a quick return for him and that he can return at full strength.

With JDS he will need to fight once before Velasquez returns so who his opponent will be will be interesting. He has already defeated Struve and Nelson so they aren't options. Mir, Lesnar, Carwin and Kongo are probably the only options. Not sure if JDS will accept a big profile fight which may jeapordise his title shot. Carwin and Lesnar would be big threats to him so I can't see him accepting a fight with them. Kongo or someone lesser will probably be what happens so he will get a win leading up to his title shot.