Bride-to-be paralysed in tragic pool accident to finally marry a year later

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
'I'm at peace with it': Bride-to-be paralysed in tragic pool accident at her bachelorette party to finally marry a year later

• Friend who caused freak accident by shoving her into pool will still be her bridesmaid
  • Her father will push her wheelchair down the aisle as she weds man of her dreams
A bride-to-be who was paralysed after her friend pushed her into a swimming pool at her bachelorette party 14 months ago will finally get to say 'I do.'
Rachelle Friedman, 25, from Knightdale, North Carolina, will wear the same gown she had chosen for the first ceremony, but her father will push her wheelchair down the aisle instead of walking her down it, arm-in-arm.
And the friend who shoved her into the shallow pool, causing her to hit the concrete bottom and paralysing her, will still be at her side as a bridesmaid at the wedding on Friday.

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_5" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 634x423 and weights 42KB.</td></tr></tbody></table> Finally saying 'I do': Rachelle Friedman, seen here trying on her wedding dress, was paralysed after a freak accident that postponed her wedding plans

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 634x421 and weights 68KB.</td></tr></tbody></table> Steadfast friend: The 25-year-old has refused to reveal the identity of the bridesmaid that shoved her into a pool, an accident that left her in a wheelchair

The 25-year-old has stuck by her friend and refused to reveal her identity even as newspapers, television and Internet sites carried the story around the world.
As a tailor altered her strapless, simple wedding dress to fit her new, thinner body, Miss Friedman refused to blame her bridesmaid.
She said: 'She was tragically hurt, mentally and emotionally. And I was tragically hurt, physically.

'It's harder to deal with when you're hurt emotionally sometimes than when you're hurt physically.'

Miss Friedman was injured while celebrating with her friends in Virginia Beach, Virginia on May 23, 2010, a month before she was supposed to be married.
After being pushed into the pool, she awkwardly hit the cement bottom.

She knew immediately something was wrong.
'I instantly just stopped moving,' Miss Friedman said.
She floated to the top, face up. Her friends were already in the water to help. 'This isn't a joke,' she told them. 'Call 911.'
The horseplay was no different from the way her friends had fooled around many times before, she said. Miss Friedman refuses to even call the act a prank because that would imply some devious intent.

<a href="http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/18/article-2016095-0D0EC80D00000578-739_634x423_popup.jpg" target="_blank">Enlarge <table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 634x423 and weights 52KB.</td></tr></tbody></table> Adjusting to change: Miss Friedman has learned how to play wheelchair rugby and uses her knuckles instead of her fingers for texting and responding to email

'People look at it like this is something that happened to me, but it happened to both of us,' she said of her friend.
Neither she nor her fiancé, Chris Chapman, ever considered deserting the other. They'd been together for almost five years when the accident happened.
'It was not, "What am I going to do?'" said Mr Chapman, 28, a middle school science teacher. 'It was, "What are we doing to do?" ... I just didn't know what to do next. It was one step at a time.'
The two grew up in Virginia Beach, but didn't meet until they were both students at East Carolina University in Greenville, becoming close friends while each dated other people. Once they started dating, he fell in love with her energy and personality.
'She was always positive, always upbeat, always ready to do something,' he said.

Before the accident: Rachelle Friedman poses with fiancé Chris Chapman. The couple will be married on Friday

Now, Mr Chapman worries about keeping her active. He's learning to referee at wheelchair rugby, and she's trying to get a hand cycle so they can bicycle together. She also wants to learn wheelchair tennis.

Before she was injured, Miss Friedman was a program coordinator at a senior centre in Raleigh. While the job didn't pay a lot, she felt blessed to be employed right out of college, to own a home with the man of her dreams and to be planning their wedding.
She often visits the senior centre where she used to work and does whatever exercises she can at home. She has finished a round of rehab, but is considering more advanced treatment.
The Beatles fan wants a tattoo of the peace sign drawn on the back of her neck, at the centre, marking her injury. Underneath will be inked, 'Let It Be.'
'It symbolises that I'm at peace with it,' she said.