Penalty Shootouts - Are they the right way to finish a game

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I read an interesting tidbit in a sports magazine the other day which posed the question "Are penalty shootouts the right way to finish a game?" or something similar to that. I thought that it was a very interesting question and that it should get some good responses.

Currently in knockout competition when there is a draw extra time is played, 15 minutes at each end. If the score is still tied after that then it goes to a penalty shootout where team gets five shots at goal to get a clear lead.

Penalty shootouts are horrible ways to bow out of a tournament for players and supporters since nothing that happened during the game actually matters anymore. It becomes it's own little game with different pressures on the players involved.

If they weren't used then methods such as Golden Goal and Silver Goal can be used. Golden Goal is where the first goal scored in extra time wins the match. Silver Goal is where the leader after 15 minutes extra time wins the match.

Personally I love the drama of a penalty shootout. When Australia qualified for the 2006 World Cup via a penalty shootout everyone in the country went crazy. The emotion for each kick is huge and even when your team loses the thrill of the ride is such that I don't mind it.

Of the other methods I like Golden Goal since it encourages teams to attack right from the start of extra time rather than excess defensive to ensure a penalty shootout.

Do you like penalty shootouts? If not what other method would you use?

R.D Punk

Reaction score
As an Englishman, I hate penalty shoot outs because lets be honest, we suck at them. However I think they are the right way to end a match if the scores are all square. The Golden goal is just so harsh on players because it requires them to attack yes but the team that had no possession could get a lucky goal and that isn't fair. I like the idea of the silvergoal but for some reason it isn't used. I don't see why, both teams need to attack but they need also need to be defensive. I love watching penalty shot outs however as the whole 130 min beofre was about Physical fitness meanwhile shootouts are about who is stronger mentally. I would rather see a goal before then but what else could you if the scores are level? You could just do silver goal if that doens't work then golden goal for 15 min and if that doesn't happen then penalty shootout. Looks like there is going to be one in the Paraguy and Japan game now.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
True the Golden Goal does reward luck if a team gets a lucky break and scores right away whereas Silver Goal encourages attack whilst still having them defend their position for the whole of extra time. Penalty shoot-outs are the right way to go as they are so exciting to watch, nerve-racking and devasting when you lose but the best ten minutes of tv when they happen involving your team.

Paraguay - Japan should go that way and it will add some life to a dull game. Both teams have been ultra defensive today which has made for boring football. Penalties will add some much needed excitment.

R.D Punk

Reaction score
Wow, Paraguay took there's well. This leads to a question I had, Does Penalties require skill or just more pot luck? If it's more pot luck wouldn't it make more scence to flip a coin and get rid of any possible things which can put the taker off like the crowed and stuff?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that it is more skill then luck. You need to have a lot of skill to win a penalty shoot-out, specifically the goalkeeper. They need to move late rather than moving early and trying to pre-determine where the player will kick the ball. A great goalkeeper will win his team matches in penalty shoot-outs. Plus once you get that far finishing it will a flip of a coin would be such a downer.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
test
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
tbh i think penaltys are the right way to go. if a game has been so boring and its 0-0 why not have a penalty shoot out to spice things up? if they ever got rid of it i would be majorly disapointed